Monday, December 7, 2009

Pineapple & Green Chile Pork Tacos

I just made this awesome recipe yesterday for dinner. I love using the Crock Pot as often as possible. The meat is always cooked perfectly, falls apart and just melts in your mouth. It's amazing. Both the hubby and I gobbled it up. I know it sounds weird but trust me, try it! I've never had pork in a taco but it kind of makes me think of fish tacos - something I've never had but want to try. I'm SO glad I did and you will be too!

My notes: Regarding the choice of meat: when I made this, I used pork ribs I had in the freezer that I wanted to get rid of. Next time, I will probably just use a boneless pork butt (the "butt" is actually the shoulder, not the "butt"! Don't know why it's called that.) roast - it's cheap and not such a hassle to de-bone. You can find tomatillo salsa on the same aisle as all the Mexican/Spanish food in your grocery store. I served it with taco shells, mexican rice (one of those Knorr (formerly Lipton) packets), cheese and sour cream. I wish I had fresh tomatoes but maybe next time. This makes so much pork so you can make a whole other meal with it the next day! Enjoy!

Pineapple & Green Chile Pork Tacos (from RealMomKitchen.com)

3 lb. boneless pork roast
1 (20 ounce can) crushed pineapple with juices
1 (16 ounce) jar tomatillo salsa (green salsa or salsa verde)
2 (4 ounce) cans green chiles, undrained
2/3 cup brown sugar

Combine all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on high for four hours or on low for 6 to eight hours. Shred pork, season to taste with salt and pepper. In a colander, drain juices from crock pot. Mix shredded pork with pineapple/salsa mixture that remains in colander and serve in tortillas with desired accompaniments. It also works great to serve as a quesadilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment