Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chicken Marsala

If you want to impress your in-laws or your husband's boss (or your boss!), this is the meal for you. I made this for my in-laws when I first got married and my father-in-law probably would've eaten the entire dish! I also make this for my Grandpa a lot, it's one of his favorites. This is so delicious - it will definitely become one of your favorite meals.

My notes: When I make this for my husband, I don't use mushrooms because neither one of us care for them...it's a texture thing. I love the taste they bring to dishes but I can't eat them. However, when I make this for other people I add them and they're a hit. You should be able to find marsala cooking wine in any grocery store. I don't use real marsala wine, even though all the Food Network chefs say you should use real wine instead of cooking wine, but sorry, no one in my house is going to drink marsala wine. Go cheap and buy the cooking wine, it's delicious. I use dried parsley instead of fresh.

Chicken Marsala (from MarthaStewart.com)

Serves 4
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each), butterflied
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
2 cups sweet Marsala wine
1 clove garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (of 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley


Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large shallow dish; set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, tapping off excess; set aside. Add oil to skillet. When oil is shimmering, add chicken, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn over, and cook 3 minutes more. Remove chicken to a plate; set aside and keep warm.

Heat 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown and all the released liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat, and add wine. Return skillet to heat, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add garlic, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and parsley. Cook for 2 minutes until reduced and slightly thickened. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment