Sunday, November 29, 2009

HoBo Special

This is an old family recipe that I love to make when I a) have no money or b) have no time. You could make this meal for less than $5 and in about 10-15 minutes! It's not gourmet by any means but it's not supposed to be. I mean, it's called "HoBo Special" for a reason! It's one of those feel-good, comforting meals. My Great-Grandma made this during the Great Depression, so it's time-tested and approved!

My notes: I almost always make this meal a little differently than the time before but I will give you the classic recipe. You can swap out ground beef for ground turkey if you'd like. It would save some calories and some $$. You can also substitute whole wheat pasta for regular pasta, but that will up the price. I don't measure the garlic powder...put in a good amount and then keep tasting. You don't want it too garlicky but you want flavor. I usually put in a few shakes of Tabasco or even some red pepper flakes for a little heat. The hubby likes it hot! You can serve this with a small salad and garlic bread.

HoBo Special

1 lb ground beef
3/4 lb elbow macaroni
2 14oz cans of Campbell's Tomato Soup
Lots of garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste

Start by boiling some water in a small pot. Pour in the elbow macaroni until it's al dente. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef/turkey and drain out any excess fat. While still on the heat, pour in the 2 cans of tomato soup and stir to combine. Add in the garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Add the macaroni and stir to combine. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Oy! This was the first recipe that your mom ever passed down to me. I made it SO much in college. If I never eat this again, it will be too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. that's hilarious. yes, i try to make it sporadically so i don't get sick of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete